Monday, October 6, 2008

My First Hunt - By Mindy

My First Hunt

My first hunt was amazing.
My Dad and I left around 5:30pm (October 4th, 2008) and we got in the woods soon after. About 10 seconds after we set up the blind we heard deer stomping around in the swamp about 20 yards away. We weren’t even in the blind yet! My Dad told me to get my arrow in my bow.

When we got inside the blind it was quiet for a while, a few chipmunk and squirrel noises but nothing extravagant. Then we heard something walking through the woods, my Dad told me to hook up so if it were deer they wouldn’t hear my release click. But as the noises grew louder, we saw two idiots walking through the woods, one was in a green vest and one was in a blue vest. At first I thought they had messed up my hunt. My Dad got out and said, “Hey you guys, you’re messing up a hunt!” They replied by saying, “Oh sorry man.” They obviously didn’t care, but after that they were quieter then they were before. Before they were talking real loud and cracking sticks, now they were talking quieter and walking quieter.

After things settled down we heard noises here and there but nothing came out.
Around 7:30, it was dark out so we headed in. As soon as we zipped up the blind door and started walking away, we heard deer stomping around in the swamp, but still, we kept on walking.

But as my first hunt I thought it was awesome because sometimes you don’t have as much activity as my Dad and I did.

That was October 4th, and today is October 5th, in about 2 hours, I am going out again.


By: Mindy


Mindy knows that when we hunt on public land, things like that can happen. The land is for everyone to use. While the two gentlemen who walked up on us interupted our hunt and walked right into the location the deer funnel from the swamp to our blind, they did turn around and leave without a fuss. I have a feeling they were looking for gun hunting locations and saw the heavy traffic area as a potential location. Hopefully, they'll respect our stands and blinds already set up for archery and gun season...we'll see. Even with the interuption, Mindy and I had a wonderful time watching the squirels and birds and listening for deer. I was a pretty proud dad sitting there watching my little girl, dressed in camo, and holding her bow waiting for deer. (even if her arrow wraps are pink...lethal pink with those broadheads! :-) ) ...and her's was the only bow we had with us because it's her hunt.

-Dad

No comments: